Saturday, November 1, 2008

Simplifying.......stress and ease vs. investment


Ok, I could probably write close to a novel on this subject, if I had the time and energy. But for now I'll try to keep it short and pertinent to my situation, because that's what I'm focused on right now.


If you've been reading my blogs you've heard me talk recently about downsizing, simplifying, and perhaps moving. All these options and choices have been rolling around my brain and I've been exploring the options available out there. So for the quick up-date...my house is up for sale (by owner), I'm daily watching craigslist for travel trailers for us to buy and move into, looking as to where we can "park" it and the costs involved in doing so. We've also stared looking into the option of renting an apartment locally, which is proving to be interestingly good so far. Simple, no yard, no utilities to pay, no house to fix and upkeep. The negative side, no investment.


The dilemma I run into is the responsible part of me that wants to make a good financial decision. We all know the housing market stinks right now, and I'm not too confident it will come back up for awhile. But then again some decisions are not made based on financial choices. So, if I rent a place I will be saving roughly $500 per month, which is $6000 a year. So, If I held onto my house, and trusting that the market will go up in the next two years, then the value of my house will increase more then the $6000 per year I would save if I were renting. Of course these figures are not including the cost and time put into home improvements.


But the catch is, I need to be living with less stress and more freedom with my finances on a month-to-month bases so I don't have to work quite as much during the school breaks. And this 1935 house is a stress and a sucker on money. The ultimate goal is less stress, so that fact does outweigh the money part.
Feel free to post comments or to e-mail me with ideas, questions, comments on our transition, etc.

No comments: