Friday, November 14, 2008

In the valley for a day!

Well, overall things are going well. I had a little bump in the road on Wednesday afternoon. I was doing ok on Wednesday morning, but soon into my day at work I started feeling terrible. My body was hurting a lot, my motor skills were shutting down, and I was having a hard time walking and thinking straight. I left work around 11:30am, holding back the tears. At least I was thinking enough to ask a friend to follow me home to make sure I got home safely. After looking back I think next time I won't drive at all. It scares me when I'm not functioning all the way, I worry that I'm not paying enough attention to the road. At least I avoid going on the highway and I take a route that allows me to use stop lights. None the less, I shouldn't have been driving.

I was worried that it was the starting of a few days, or weeks of pain again, that's how I felt. But I think with all the work I've been doing on learning how to relax my body and get control over my pain, it really paid off. I was able to breathe my way through and take the focus off my pain and force my whole body to relax. Then I looked inside to see what triggered my pain, which I'm learning is caused by emotions left unchecked.

Well there are a lot of things that COULD have triggered it; including but not limited to: LOTS of stress at work (that's the nature of how it goes); the weather storm that just blew in (yep it effect fibro sufferers, just like people who have arthritis); or it could be the fact that on Tuesday I started trying to workout more then I had been. And working out for me used to mean really pushing myself. But right now I've been limited to moving around in the pool, yoga and other stretching, and light walking.

But on Tuesday I walked on the treadmill at a slightly faster pace then normal for a half hour, and then did the recumbent bike for 10 min, followed by soaking in the hot tub for 30 min. Not much, I know. Maybe the clincher was that in the morning of Wed I did 10 girly, yes I said girly, push ups!! Ok, this is embarrassing for me to admit. Normally (before fibro knocked me down) I would wake up, do 20 regular push ups and then go run, etc. And then throughout the day I would do random 20 push ups. I'll get back to that place, watch me!

Anyways, after a short episode of crying, relaxing, and then talking to one of my difficult clients on the phone about a major issue we were dealing with and confronting it. I was then able to pick up my kids and we all went to the pool and I soaked in the hot tub and stretched my arms and legs. After 10 hours of sleep that night, I went to work the next day able to function at a normal level, although there is some pain, but just normal pain, not teeth clenching pain.
While back at work Thursday I took a look at some of things I wrote down before I left for the day on Wednesday. Yikes! it looked like a 1st grader wrote it!! And the worst thing is that I don't really remember writing it!

Have a great weekend!

Still kicking

No comments: