Thursday, August 27, 2009

Roots for dinner

We got up this morning and I asked the kids to go out in the garden and dig up some things for dinner. In my opinion, anyone who can say that is truely blessed!! It's so great to be able to plan a meal around what's growing in the garden.

So for this fine evening we made a stew out of the vegies and roots (carrots, potatoes) in the garden. I probably won't eat much, as it's very cooked, but I'll have a bit of a taste to make sure it's good, then enjoy my salad (also from the garden).

Yesterday I was thinking about how during the summer about 90% of our daily dinner is all from the garden. So why haven't I seen the food budget go down? Good question. I suppose it's due to the fruit we still love to consume, switching to more gluten free foods (a little bit pricier), and also buying fruit to can, which will last all year.

The chickens are popping our more eggs, yeah!

And we need serious prayer for Hailey and Will's dad to see the importance of homeschooling the kids. He's doesn't understand it a bit, and it's my hearts desire to be homeschooling the kids. I've changed my whole work schedule around to be able to teach the kids at home. And a lot of it has to do with making up for the negative impact there is when the kids are at their dad's house.
Ok, off for now. :)

No comments: