Friday, July 8, 2011

Slacker! Confession time

So, I don't know if it's part of the ending nesting/organizing/cleaning out stage of pregnancy, or just time itself. But I've been thinking about things I've really let slide in the past year.

What have I let slide?
-My eating habits have gone downhill, I've allowed white flour and sugar into my diet.
-I haven't been eating as many nutritious raw fruits, vegetables, and seeds.
-I've started using shampoo and conditioner again, even though it's only 2-3 times a week.
-I've used pregnancy as a way to indulge in more food than I should, larger portions (even for being pregnant). That's probably why I've gained so much weight in past nine months. (50 lbs) Plus I've been eating bread.
-I haven't been exercising as much. We can blame that one on the last month of being on bed rest. But I had no good excuse prior to bed rest. It sure is nice to be able to move around again, even if it's still limited because of my growing baby belly. (we're at 38 weeks today)
-I've been eating more meat since I've been pregnant, whereas I ate very little before.

So what do I plan to do?
-Start with cutting out white flour, and soon to cut out all processed starches.
-Cut out cane sugar
-Push my hair shampooing back to once a week with baking soda/vinegar washings in between.
-Start moving more. That will increase after I deliver and then recover from birth. Thank goodness it will be summer still and easier to get outside and move.
-Eat more vegetables, especially green veggies. Which I've already been doing, as the garden is plentiful this summer.
-Eat less meat, but still get adequate protein in my diet, about 50 grams per day, which is about 17 g per meal. Wow, that seems like a lot. I think I need to focus on this goal more!

Those are my starting points. Of course I'll soon have a newborn to welcome into the world, and a new rhythem for the family, but it's all doable with time and patience.

Other health goals.
-Get my kids to eat organic peanutbutter
-Get the whole family off of white flour. We actually don't use it that much, but we still do some baking with white flour. We converted to sprouted grain bread a few years ago and it's helped with gluten sensitivities.
-Eventually convert to all glass storage dishes instead of plastic tupperware.
-Make our own medicinal tinctures for the cold/flu and immune support, rather than store bought medications. Half our family rarely takes medicines, the other half thinks over the counter drugs work.
-Get a new water filtration system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather! I am so glad you can get out of bed. Good job and good luck! I love your list...I have the same one that I made around the same time of pregnancy. I still have it and look at it often. As you know, it takes AWHILE to get back into feeling good. 3 weeks after giving birth I started my exercise routine with 75 push-ups and had raging mastitis which took 3 bouts and 6 weeks to recover from. You are an athlete and will get back into shape and looking good (ps, I would chug whole milk from the carton while pregnant). love, adri