Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Rooster's had to go - Viewer discretion advised!

So, I had to laugh at myself this weekend. Here I am trying to be a RAW vegan, and I'm butchering some of my back yard chickens. What can I say? My kids knew exactly where their dinner came from Saturday evening. And no, I didn't wear a skirt to do the duty.

It had been about 15 years since either Keith or I had butchered chickens, but it all came back pretty quickly. The kids, including the neighbor kids, all got an anatomy lesson and they helped with the plucking. We also took the opportunity to talk to them about chicken factories, how "other" chickens are raised poorly and unhealthy, and why it's important to know where your food comes from .

He was actually screaming at me in the above picture.
I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on.














They were bantams, so they were pretty small.

I wonder what our neighbors think of us. We had a few strange looks as we were plucking chickens on our front porch.

And into the oven they go!















2 comments:

melissa said...

ha,ha love it!!! how did they taste?

HeatherMM said...

Tough actually! You can tell they weren't bred to be eaten.